Magic Camp ⭐️⭐️
When it comes to camp counselor movies, Meatballs set the comedy bar pretty high. Magic Camp is from Disney, so you know that we’re getting a family film.
Directed by Mark Waters, Disney+ comedy Magic Camp has mostly received positive reviews so far – though it may be more for kids than adults. Reviewers who critique from a parent’s perspective seem to enjoy the streaming experience, most notably the chemistry between the primary leads and how they interact with the young supporting cast. Meanwhile, reviews from larger outlets are more lukewarm, but credit the movie for being a fun distraction.Why Magic Camp’s Reviews Are (Mostly) Positive | Screen Rant
… you’ve been warned, SPOILERS ahead …
Adam Devine conjures Jack Black
Mention in my review that if you close your eyes and listen to Devine’s voice, you’ll hear Jack Black. It’s distracting. He even has the same acting mannerisms and emphasizing vocals. He’s just not as funny as Jack Black. Last saw him in Jexi ⭐️⭐️⭐️, the cell phone OS dating assistant, and he was better there than here. Think I prefer him to be more adult-oriented than in a family role.
The magic is fun
I liked the magic, although with cameras and cut scenes anything can be magical. The tricks the kids perform in the movie are realistic.
But the story … oh my, we need to talk about the story. The whole warring between the two adult magicians would have been cool if there was more tension, but instead we don’t see enough conflict coming out of the duo.
Reviews by Others
What do others think of Magic Camp?
- Another Millennial Reviewer: “Overall, very enjoyable, not a challenging watch, but maybe something to watch when you’re feeling down and need a pick me up. Further proof that Devine is Jack Black.”
- Dave / Interpreting The Stars: “…a great family film. When looking at all the originals on Disney Plus, this is instantly one of my favorites if not favorite film to watch with my kids. Doesn’t make it a masterpiece. Doesn’t even make it technically better than any of the other movies on there, but it is an easy popcorn flick for families to watch together”
- DC Bolling / DC’s Take: “…wasn’t the disaster I expected to be. I thought it was fine. Sure, the story is very predictable, and the laughs weren’t entirely there until later on. But it’s a family-friendly comedy offering some impressive magic tricks to entertain those who love it and has some genuine heart earned”
- Heather’s Hot Takes: “These magicians are not cut out for Vegas or even a cruise ship, but hey, Magic Camp is a charming and cheesy watch.”
- Kings Movie Reviews (6.5/10): “Devine plays a great part though, even with his comedy toned way down. ‘Magic Camp’ is a heartfelt movie that the whole family will love.”
- Marco Biondi: “…reminds us that no one does it like Disney. There’s a warmth to their movies you just can’t imitate and we get this plus more with Magic Camp. It’s not a classic but it shows they’re on the right track.”
- Often Off Topic (3.5/5): “Yes, it’s horribly predictable. It contains almost every cliche in the book. It’s not novel, new, there are no surprises. But it’s entertaining, funny enough and made me cry 1 and a half times. It would have been 2 but my husband watched this with me and was already rolling his eyes so I held it in.”
- Ranting and Raving Reviews: “If you are a parent looking for a film to watch with children, you do not need to worry about Magic Camp. Director Mark Waters of Freaky Friday and, uh, Mean Girls fame has clearly taken care to make a meaningful kids’ movie that doesn’t condescend and has decent values.”
- Trailer Trashed: “There is a lot of great humour, and some cool magic tricks, most kids will recognise themselves in at least one of the camp residents. For kids it’s going to be a hit, with adults, probably not, but we aren’t really the target audience, are we?”
- Yash Bansal Movie Reviews (3/5): “…this is a harmless and family-friendly diversion that can probably appeal to a wide age range.”
- Jerome Reviews (Grade: D-): “Magic Camp could easily be mistaken for some other underdog team movie Disney has done, if you have seen any other underdog team movie you have already seen Magic Camp. I really don’t know what else to say, it’s a terrible movie that nobody is going to remember by the end of the month.”
- leebutler / Movie Meister Reviews (1.5/5): “If we’re kind we can compliment the kids on being good actors who did good magic tricks… but that’s where the compliments pretty much have to end because from top to bottom Magic Camp is a combination of boring and bad that barely holds up to even a passing thought. Sure, little kids might love it but little kids also deserve a better movie than this. “
Linked above and wondering what would be the cool thing to do next? Commenting once in awhile is always good (I like reader and other blogger interaction). If you have the trackback/pingback come to your site then just approve it because after people read your review then they can come here and follow links and read someone else’s review. What comes around goes around and sharing is the ultimate “thank you!” on the internet.
Did I miss your review? Use the comments to tell me about your movie-related/review blog and I’ll follow. I like following movie-related blogs and pull quoting from my reading list as well as other new blogs shared, liked and discovered.
Happy movie watching!