Friday the 13th is a great month to release a new horror movie. No real tie-in to a comedy spy thriller.
Why does this plot seem so familiar? Young snarky girl with deadly CIA Agent. It’s the old story of youth (inexperience) meets stoic, tatted up military experience.
My Spy follows JJ a hardened CIA operative (Dave Bautista) who has been demoted and finds himself at the mercy of a precocious 9-year-old girl, named Sophie (Chloe Coleman) where he has been sent undercover begrudgingly to surveil her family. When Sophie discovers hidden cameras in her apartment she uses her tech savviness to locate where the surveillance operation is set. In exchange for not blowing JJ’s cover Sophie convinces him to spend time with her and teach her to be a spy. Despite his reluctance JJ finds he is no match for Sophie’s disarming charm and wit.Movie Insider Story Info
Trailer reactions after the video.
- Dave Bautista’s character is not that good with people … but he’s good at blowing stuff up and bashing bad guys. Been there, done that
- The Rock could just as easily have been in this movie .. or John Cena … or … well, just about any other big body actor (Vin Diesel!)
- Hey, Ken Jeong is in this, he’s funny! Liked.
- Why does Sophie want him to teach her how to be a spy?
- Lie detector test scene, hmm.
- Dodgeball!!!! You get the sense he’s about to bring the pain
Looks like this movie has some potential. Am I super excited about seeing it? Bloodshot and The Hunt are also being released this same day and I have much greater interest in seeing those. This could surprise and have more to this than the trailer, which seems like all too familiar scenes: blowing up a car, tough CIA agent beating up the bad guys, awkward girl meets tough CIA guy and he helps her become more socially acceptable, or at least dangerous and she gives him a lesson in acting/being more human and compassionate. Yes, I hope there’s more to it than this.
My Spy opens wide in theaters on March 13, 2020.