Repeating my Top 10 New Movies Coming Soon In Fall 2019, am looking ahead to movies coming in Winter 2019-2020. This includes movies with an opening date of as early as December 1, 2019 to as late as March 2020. All these movies have been added to my Letterboxd watchlist.
This list is sorted by most interested to least interested in seeing. Anticipation for a movie will change based on new information that comes out closer to the release date.
- Uncut Gems (December 13) – FIRST LOOK -Adam Sandler in a thriller?!?! Sign me up!
- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker ⭐️⭐️½ – PREVIEW – for me this is the end of an era that began in the 70s .Somewhat bittersweet, because I always believed George Lucas would tell this tell, not J.J. Abrams. I have to see this one, even though I haven’t been as excited about this series in a long time.
- Bombshell ⭐️⭐️⭐️ – PREVIEW – the story behind what brought down a FOX media mogul, Roger Ailes.
- Godzilla vs. Kong (March 13) – FIRST LOOK – monster vs. monster, hope it’s old school!
- Fantasy Island (February 14) – FIRST LOOK – the remake of a fun, sometimes dark TV show. Sad that the real Tattoo (Herve Villachez) and Mr. Roarke (Ricard Montalban) are gone, but if it is faithful to the material that inspired it, then yay! It has been confirmed there is no Tattoo in this movie. Would love to have seen Peter Dinklage take a shot at Tattoo. Sigh.
- Bad Boys For Life (January 17) – Will Smith and Martin Lawrence doing the buddy cop thing again.
- Doolittle (January 17) – FIRST LOOK– Robert Downey, Jr.
- Birds of Prey (And The Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn – February 7, 2020) – previews for this DC comic + the strength of Joker being something different has my curiosity piqued.
- Sonic The Hedgehog (February 14, 2020) – FIRST LOOK – videogame movies have sucked for the most part historically
- 1917 (December 25) – FIRST LOOK – seeing what one continuous shot is like has attracted me to this war film.
There are more movies I’m looking forward to than the top 10 listed above and undoubtedly there will be surprise anticipated drop-in titles. This is what happened with my Fall 2019 anticipation list, which is why I continue to monitor new movies that are previewed and update.